Saturday, July 30, 2022

My Convention-bound Custom-made Trapper Keeper!

When I attend conventions to run games, I have found that a 3-ring binder is perfect for me to use at the table. A small pocket-purse up front carries my extra pencils, timer, dry-erase markers, etc. The cover pocket holds my pre-gens. And I place my adventure scripts into plastic sleeves so I can write on them during play to make note of current hit points, playtest notes, etc. With the exception of my dice bag, everything fits into this one binder behind the screen.

Several months ago, I made a suggestion that the only way this could be even more retro-gaming at the table was if it were a Trapper Keeper. You know, those hold-everything-and-then-some binders that were all the rage back in the 1980s (when Yours Truly was in school and discovering RPGs). Today while shopping, I passed through the Back To School section and found a WALL OF TRAPPER KEEPERS. I honestly thought they didn't make these anymore! So I scooped one up, brought it home, and converted it to my NEW convention-bound gaming binder!

The wall of Trapper Keepers! You can almost smell the 1980s, can't ya?

My current gaming binder on the left, and my new TK on the right, about to undergo some alterations!

I didn't want the TK front "flap" to cover up my favorite gaming artwork (Vallejo's Death Dealer), so to access the back cover area, I cut a flap on the inside back cover.

Turned the TK over, opened the flap to the edge, and slipped in the artwork from my gaming binder. (I could've printed a new one, but this printout has been with me since Gen Con 2008.)

And a strip of black duct tape hides the slit nicely.

For the front, I added some of my favorite unused stickers.

The TK comes with two of those slip-in "portfolios". I likely will use them for maps and pre-gens.

And my pocket-purse in the front with pencils and what-not.

Here's the final front.

Here's the final back.

1 comment: