Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Newest Member Of The Order Of The D30

It has arrived at last. My own 30-sided, golf-ball-sized randomizer. I had heard of The Order of the D30 for nearly a year now, seeing the coat of arms proudly displayed on many blogs. Although I couldn't think of a use or purpose for this monstrousity, I had to have one. And after all, what is a 30-sided dice? I'll tell you what it is - it's a MUTANT. And therefore it takes its rightful place of honor within my Radioactive Waste dice cup. (Although it barely fits in there with the rest of my dice.)

I like the current Order of the D30 House Rule that states, "Once per game session, a player may choose to roll the d30 in leau of any other dice roll. This cannot be used during character creation, however, nor for hit point rolls." This could be devastating when rolling for damage ("You hit with the dagger. Roll 1d4." "I'll use the d30 instead. Neat! I stab for 18 points of damage!") as well as when rolling to hit ("You need to roll 9 or more on 1d20." "I'll use the d30. Oooh, does a 27 hit?"). The possibilities are endless.

Current members of The Order of the D30...Sound off in the comments below!

7 comments:

  1. I would amend the text of the house rule to state "Once per game session, a player or game master may choose to roll the d30 in leau of any other dice roll. This cannot be used during character creation, however, nor for hit point rolls."

    What's good for the goose is good for the mutant gander and all that.

    Let me say from personal experience that this is a great way to use the d30. It provides opportunities for heroic acts and is a safety net for those moments when you simply cannot fail. And when you as a Mutant Lord announce that you are using your d30 roll, the look of agony on the players' faces is priceless!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I display the d30 coat-of-arms with pride, but until I own one myself I am merely a d30 sympathizer...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the Order! I interpret the house rule to include the DM as one of the players, though I rarely avail myself of the opportunity.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to be part of the d30 movement, but it's difficult to get d30s here in poland!

    :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got my d30 finally, but haven't gotten the opportunity to use it yet!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've owned a d30 since they were first became available, though I don't know what year that was. I think I might also own a supplemnet that was created for the d30, chart after chart all based on a 1 - 30 spread. I know I've read it at least, it might be part of my collection.

    ReplyDelete