Friday, August 21, 2015

RPG-A-DAY 2015 Day 21: Favorite RPG Setting...Post-Apocalypse USA


21. FAVORITE RPG SETTING...

Truth be told, I've never had a favorite RPG setting -- at least from a "commercial" standpoint. None of the classic gaming worlds and settings ever appealed to me. Didn't care for Dragonlance. Didn't like Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk. Thought the world of Ravenloft was kinda neat, but I wouldn't call it a favorite. There have been other RPG settings that I enjoyed, such as Paranoia's Alpha Complex, Planescape's Sigil, Dark Sun's Athas, DCC's Shudder Mountains, and Middle Earth (of course).

So, to stretch the definition of "favorite RPG setting," I'm going to name a genre setting instead -- post-apocalyptic Earth, specifically the ruins of the U.S. years after The Big Whoops. Ever since seeing the rusted remains of the Statue of Liberty in that final iconic scene in The Planet of The Apes, I've been enthralled by seeing the ruins of famous landmarks and cities. Heck, Thundarr the Barbarian traveled to a different region each week, and I always thought it was cool recognizing the remnants of Las Vegas, Washington DC, San Francisco, etc. When I run a game of Mutant Future, I always center it in the ruins of major metropolitan area, just for the reaction of the players as they suddenly realize WHERE the game takes place.

No comments:

Post a Comment