Friday, March 28, 2014

RIP Dave Trampier

Thought I'd toss in my condolences and thoughts on the passing of a great gaming artist. I always enjoyed Dave Trampier's artwork and, in fact, his imagery DEFINED Dungeons and Dragons for me in my formative years. Probably you too.
I don't know about you, but I had the Player's Handbook with me close at hand at the table. Staring at that image of the party looting the statue's eye-jewels while we played in our own game always put me in the mood and painted a vivid evocative picture in my mind.
Meanwhile, whenever I wasn't glancing at the PH cover, I was staring at THIS image. My DM was always lurking behind his trusty DM Screen. I'm sure you've spent many an hour contemplating your next move while staring at this same image.

Trampier is known for so much, much more, so I won't belabor the point any further, except to share one other piece he created that defined me as a gamer. He's the artist responsible for the cover art of this:

Thanks Dave for fueling my imagination and illustrating my thoughts so well.

1 comment: