Saturday, June 4, 2016

North Texas RPG Con Day 2: Hollar Hollow, DungeonQuest, And The Green Devil Face

Howdy folks and welcome to Day 2 of Sniderman's live travelogue from North Texas RPG Con 2016. Yesterday was my first full day of gaming, socializing, shopping, and geeking out, and I hope today is just as energizingly action-packed. By design, I only have one scheduled event, so today I'll be trolling the open gaming and not-yet-filled events. So if you're here and you see me wandering around, offer me a beer and a place at your table!

As usual, I'll be returning to my room and adding to this blog entry as the day goes on, posting the final results before hitting the sheets. So without further ado, here's Day 2:
  • Man, I ran one game and played one game yesterday and my voice is already cracking. Seems to happen at every con because I just can't shut up for more than 5 minutes, straining my voice. Glad I brought lozenges this year.
  • Some of you may have realized that my posting frequency here at TSAW has been thin this year. Typically by now, I've amassed 50+ posts, but this year, I'm at less than 20. Well, Your Friendly Neighborhood Sniderman has been doing a lot (A LOT) of freelancing behind the scenes which has cut sharply into my "Bloggin'-and-Playin' Happy Fun Times." But I'll try to get better about it. This daily live-blogging is an attempt to get back into the swing of regular posting again.
  • I wore my custom-made Tomb of Horrors shirt today. Lots of folks thought it was cool. I like it too, but conventions are the only place I can wear it without folks thinking I'm an Anton LeVey follower or something.
  • Blah blah blah, wah wah wah, so what about gaming stuff, Monkey Boy? Read on!
  • Played in Mike Curtis' DCC game "Holler Hollow" this morning. Our group of adventurers were passing through the afore-mentioned burg deep in the Shudder Mountains. Over supper, Chase and his wife, our overnight hosts, told us of the restless spirit of a local woman who was beginning to appear in town. Seeking vengeance? Closure? After "Elfie the Action Elf" tried to communicate with the spirit (using Magic Missile), we ended up at the old haunted gristmill where the ghost and her husband originally lived. Long story short -- We finally made contact with the spirit and found out how she met her untimely end. Sadly, those responsible for her death turned upon us, causing our own party to turn against each other. By the time the game ended, the only one left alive was Elfie, who was completely under the thrall of The Bad Guys. And the Shudder Mountains were left to a horrid fate due to our failure. (It was a GREAT GAME! Thanks Mike!)
  • After trying (and failing) to locate some folks, I left the building to grab a bite. On Mike's recommendation, I hit "Simply Burgers" where they serve...well, it's right there in the name. Huge half-pound burgers, crazy-deelish. However, I must be more pasty-white than I thought since I believe I got sunburned on the 15 minute walk up the street and back.
  • Stopped by to visit the Tenkar Tavern's Annex. Our host Erik Tenkar was busy catching up with blog posts, while Richard LeBlanc of New Big Dragon Games ran a game at one of the tables. Two vendors were set up as well: the Frugal GM and Inkwell Ideas had wares available. A lot of action in the annex! I made plans with Erik to meet later in the bar for a game of Drinking Quest! (What a social guy! Very approachable!)
  • As I left the Annex, I found a game of DungeonQuest in full swing. Doug Kovacs was there, and he explained to me that DQ was one of his go-to games since high school. For years, he and friends played this game. Very cool.
  • I sauntered around to make sure I knew where my game of TOON was going to be held tomorrow morning. Found the room, then looked to see what else was going on while my game was underway. I discovered that the table next to mine was going to be hosting a game of Pax Britannia run by Greg Costikyan. Yes, THAT Greg Costikyan -- creator of Ghostbusters, Paranoia, Star Wars, and TOON. Well, this should prove interesting...
  • Later that evening, I met Erik and Rach in the bar, and we were later joined by Richard and Justin Davis. The four of us BS'ed until 1 a.m. No Drinking Quest, but there *was* drinking!
  • It's getting late and I have to be up tomorrow morning to run a traditional Saturday morning game. Usually I like to run Thundarr the Barbarian, but this year it's going to be Saturday morning cartoon mayhem as my players throw pies, drop anvils, and generally go "looney tunes" in a game of TOON. Stay tuned for more from the show tomorrow!
    In honor of one of my absolute favorite modules for any game, here's the shirt I sported today at the convention!

    Not seen in this photo of Mike Curtis' Holler Hollow game is the wholesale slaughter that started shortly after this photo was snapped.

     The Atrium tables were all full and running games this afternoon. It would stay like this into the evening. Keep in mind, this is just ONE area where games are being played here. The ballroom, boardrooms, and side rooms were all just as busy. I'm trying to stress this is a gaming nirvana, folks.

    Tenkar's Tavern Annex with lots goin' on and lots happenin'.

    DungeonQuest in progress.

    I discovered where my TOON game is being held tomorrow morning. I'm playing in the same room at the same time as Greg Costikyan, TOON's creator.
     -Gulp- No pressure.

    1 comment:

    1. What happens when you stick your arms in that shirt?!? And wow, you stuck your HEAD in?!? You are brave, sir, or foolhardy...

      ReplyDelete