Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Old School RPG Planet Has Shut Down

Sad news in the blogosphere. Alex Schroeder has announced that, effective immediately, his OSR blog aggregation site Old School RPG Planet has been taken down. Visiting the site will now take visitors to the RPG Bloggers Legacy D&D page.

I'm saddened by this development as Old School RPG Planet was one of my daily "go-to's". It always gave me a great overview of what was hot, who was talking, and what sites to stop by that day. I liked it so much, that I actually created a link button over there in the right-hand column of my blog to point other folks to the site. But, as of now, another corner of the Internet I liked to visit has boarded up the windows. But I didn't want the passing of this site to go by without some kind of mention and a public "Thank You" to Alex for running it all of these years. It was one of my favorite sites, and it'll be missed.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I wondered what had happened as I too visited it daily and often told other folks of its great utility (sure as hell beat trawling through individual blogs). I'll raise a glass to Alex; thanks, Al!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto here. It was the quickest best way to see the latest posts and I would say it drew in scads of lurkers. I understand Alex's reaction to copyright arguments, but still it's a big blow to my OSR enjoyment and RPG Bloggers is much more commercial in comparison...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That was the only feed for my current site, guess I'll have to go back to the network. Pretty soon the OSR will be in exclusive rings or forced into a big corp pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sadly, I'd not heard of it prior to your post. Sounds like it would have been amazingly useful!

    ReplyDelete