As you read this, my Thundarr game here at North Texas RPG Con has just ended, and it's safe for me to post the adventure my players just ran through. Click the cover below to download "Thundarr the Barbarian: The Wizard's Graveyard" for you own home games!
A few notes:
- I used pre-gens for Thundarr, Ookla, and Ariel, as well as new ones for Shara, Merlik, and Oosoo. Shara and Merlik were actually introduced in the episode 'Den of the Sleeping Demon." The pre-gens are included with this download. Encourage the players to play the characters straight as it really helps make the game a success.
- No maps are provided. Just sketch something quickly on your battlemap the way I do as needed.
- I removed the "Amazing Feat of Fill-in-the-Blank" as an ability for the primary characters. I've found they're strong enough without this cartoon "gimmee". Plus, the players hardly used it!
- The adventure is hardly a polished effort, as it's my rough notes for use during a con game. So please excuse spelling errors, formatting issues, and general unattractiveness. Originally, it was just for my eyes only.
- The script should be easy enough to follow, but it is a 3-4 hour "railroad" convention one-shot. There's not much "depth" to it. Point A to Point B to Point C to Big Bad Boss Fight at the end.
- I played the opening credits on a tablet for the players as we started. And when we were done, I played the end credits. (Not to mention the 80s commercials for cereal and toys!) This really helped the atmosphere and set the mood.
- Be sure to play it like the cartoon. Play up the voices and the exaggerated action sequences. If your players want to do it, let it happen! Cartoon action, my friends!
- If you'd like to run your home PCs through the adventure, it should be easy enough to have them play through. However, this game takes place in a post-apocalyptic future where magic exists. If magic doesn't exist in your campaign, have Thraxx's "magic" be the result of a non-corporealness mutation and "Ancient holographic technology in the wrong hands."
- If you want more Thundarr excitement for your Mutant Future games, don't forget to download the always-free Thundarr sourcebook over there in the right-hand column!