In case you haven’t heard, Goblinoid Games’ Dan Proctor has written a new RPG that takes place on a planet where apes are the rulers and man is the beast!
ALERT! ALERT! PREMATURE LANDING!
You groggily come back to consciousness after a long cryosleep. Your ship’s warning system is telling you the ship has entered the atmosphere of a planet and is about to crash land under autopilot. Crawling to a seat, you buckle in, joining your fellow astronauts as you quickly check instrument readings.
Through the cockpit window you see a barren, desolate landscape flashing by. The ship skims a large lake before coming to a stop just off the pebble shore. The computer tells you there is a breathable atmosphere, and after gathering survival packs the crew exits the ship.
“Where are we?” you ask each other, as everyone wades to the shore seeing a wasteland with little vegetation.
“Which planet is this? We must have gone off course on our return from Alpha Centauri.”
Then there is the sound of hoof beats, adding to the disorientation. Hoof beats? Are we on Earth?
Around an embankment comes several riders bearing rifles. As they approach, the sun glares in your eyes and a shot fires, a companion to your left falls to the ground holding his stomach. A large rider stops in front of you, momentarily blocking the sun and providing a clear look at his face.
“An ape! We’re on a planet ruled by apes!”
Apes Victorious is a roleplaying game in which you take the role of an astronaut from the 1970’s who finds himself marooned on a future Earth ruled by intelligent apes. Players may also take the role of an ape, a degenerated human, or a psi-active underdweller. Fight to survive in this post-apocalyptic future ruled by four species of apes. Or play apes who hunt humans for sport. For a different kind of campaign, play highly intelligent but insane underdwellers who have advanced technology and powerful psi powers.
This book contains:
* A complete game
* A post-nuclear apocalyptic setting in which apes have become the dominant species
* Seven player classes
* Animals and creatures of the post-nuclear future
* Campaign advice
* A complete introductory adventure
* Conversion notes for compatible games including Labyrinth Lord, Mutant Future, and Starships & Spacemen 2e
By Daniel Proctor with additional material by Leonard H. Kanterman and Tim Snider. Cover by Mark Allen, interior illustrations TBA.
-=-=-=-=-=-And here are some of those tidbits I’ve mentioned:
* Want to stay up-to-date on developments of the game? There is a new Apes Victorious G+ group already up and running, created by Brutorz Bill of the Green Skeleton Gaming Guild. (It stands to reason, as he’s been running his Simian Saturday feature for a long time!) Stop by the group and watch for new announcements regarding the development of Apes Victorious.
* There will likely be a Kickstarter for Apes Victorious once the final pieces of the manuscript are complete and in place. The KS will be for funding of the interior art, so some evocative scenes are coming to the pages of AV!
* According to a post Dan made at the Apes Victorious G+ group, the game will be released as Open Game Content (OGC). Also, there will be a free trademark license available so third-parties can write and release their own offerings for adventures in The Simian World!