Sunday, June 17, 2012

How To Ensure There Won't Be A Second FLGS Visit


This is my obligatory Free RPG Day summary, along with some friendly advice for the Friendly Local Game Store I visited.

I went online and found a store within 30 miles that was participating. Didn't even know this store existed (it's in a small little nearby town) and I had hoped I had found a new FLGS to frequent. When I walked in, the first thing that struck me was the microscopic small size of the store. Picture one bookshelf on one wall filled with games and RPGs, and two display cases (in a U-shape) filled with dice, cards, smaller swag, etc. On the shelves behind the counter were tons of Magic booster and HeroClix. Now imagine all of this crammed into a room the size of your bathroom -- it was that tight. But as small as the place was, I was stunned by the sheer amount of good stuff there.

So I mentioned to the two behind the counter that Free RPG Day brought me there, and I was looking for a new place to hang. Owner seemed happy -- clerk behind the counter less so. (Very bored.) I set aside a piece of free swag and began looking around to drop more cash in the store.

"So your site says that you hold events and tourneys. Where are those held?" I asked.

"Oh, right here in the store," the owner said, as I tried to figure out the mechanics of how that would work. (I wouldn't have to wait long.)

About that time, four other "local regulars" entered. (The store is now literally packed with the five of us -- it was THAT SMALL.) The owner and clerk obviously knew them and they struck up a conversation about whatever campaign they're involved in. The new arrivals gathered around the display cases, purchased a few Magic boosters, and began incorporating them into the decks they had brought. (I was kinda shoved away to the back of the store and away from the merchandise I was trying to look at.) A mat was brought out and draped over the display case (the one I was trying to look into), and two three-person Magic games broke out among everyone but me. I had been forgotten.

So I thanked the owner, paid for my Cthulhu Dice (the only item I had picked out before the regulars showed up), and left. I was trying to decide between Munchkin Quest, Settlers of Catan, and The Adventurers (we need a new board game for my group), but I decided I just wasn't gonna drop that kind of scratch on a store that brushed off the New Guy so easily.

Oh, I did get the DCC free item that brought me there, so it wasn't a total loss.

MY ADVICE TO ALL FLGS: If someone new walks into your store, assume that it's someone with a stack of cash looking to buy something substantial that day (as well as stopping in for future purchases). Also assume that this person was scouting out a location to recommend to his friends (and blog readers). And finally, although your "local regulars" are your daily bread-and-butter, try to remember that -- more than likely -- they're there solely to play and hang out rather than shop around -- unlike the guy who told you he specifically sought you out that day.

10 comments:

  1. Some folk simply do not understand salesmanship in the slightest. A new customer can become several new customers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you didn't take pictures! Also, are you gonna name the place so people can stay away? (Or at least google pictures of it :p)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nah. I didn't want this to become a public shaming. Just wanted to voice my disappointment and perhaps cast out a cautionary tale to any other store owners who might stop by here.

      Delete
  3. I feel your pain. I've been trying to make my FLGS something its not. I've just decided to settle on being an on-line shopper. I spend less and can get anything. But would like to have a local place to go no the less.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The clerk at my (F)LGS actually talked my girlfriend out of a sale... She saw some d20s she liked the size colour of. They told her "oh, those are spin-down dice, you don't want that..." then the equivalent of "here but these, they're more expensive and not the colour you want." Some (I'm assuming) regulars also co-opted our conversation and then excluded us from it. I wonder why we only go there once or twice a year...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know, I think maybe cut the guy a little slack. He has a tiny store, he's probably bummed about it too. Seems a little harsh to bash him for the size of his junk.

    On a day when most people come by to grab a bunch of free stuff, I couldn't get too mad at them for not knowing you wanted to make a big purchase. If it wasn't a 50+ mile round trip, would you have been more forgiving?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I bashed the size of the store in my post. In fact, I was impressed by the inventory. I was instead annoyed that "Hang on a sec, guys. This guy's still looking. Sir, can I show you something in there?" wasn't considered by the staff.

      Delete
    2. I suppose one litmus test of bashing is whether you would call the store microscopic and compare it to a bathroom in his presence, rather than just from afar. But I understand your point about customer service - he might have made a sale if he'd held off on the game for a couple minutes.

      Delete
  6. Thats OK our local comic shop won't carry anything but MTG because the rpg's don't spend enough and all smell bad. but they will order anything I would like. Then told them amazon does not care how my money smells.

    ReplyDelete